Full relo offered within the U.S.
Shortly after falling in love with the realm of recruitment*, I became enamored with user experience. Fortunately for me, I’m able to combine my passion for both in my work, and have done so since UX was called “Information Architecture” way back when.
This agency's work makes me positively giddy. This thriving and pioneering shop in Austin, Texas is adding a VP-level Group Director, User Experience Design role to head up their growing UX practice across their four offices.
Let me tell you a little bit about the company. It's a 25+ year old, privately- and woman-owned boutique, so there are no stockholders dictating them how to treat their employees or clients. This gives them a lot of flexibility to pursue and do the type of work they want. They focus on people first, which is an attitude that has led to great work and success over the years. Their culture is one of innovation crafted with soul, in that innovation is at the heart of everything, but it's crafted with a 'hand touch'. It's more than just technology though; as they’re always at the forefront of trying out new things. The soul part is who they are as a people - a very kind, Texas-friendly organization with high standards and expectations. A highly enforced, top-down, “no egos or @$$holes allowed” policy reigns true here and safeguards their phenomenal culture. They were initially known for their branding work, but these days they are a solid think tank that is constantly re-imagining and reinventing the digital and physical realm. Over the years, they have grown to 250 people spread across four states, but the majority of the UX team resides in their Austin Headquarters, which is where this position is located.
The VP, Group Director, User Experience Design position reports to the COO, a former UX leader and colleague of mine (and helluva nice guy) who was overseeing the team for a while. This company has invested heavily in User Design as a practice and capability, and as a result, are winning a lot of research-, user experience- and design-centric engagements. Given this, it’s time for the COO to add a VP-level leader to focus 100% on the UX Design practice. This is an ideal career move for a relationship-builder who is passionate about the industry, ready to join a leadership team, where s/he can leave his/her mark on shaping a discipline, selecting design methodology, and building out, coaching and managing a team while working on some very memorable engagements.
Sound good so far? As much as I like these people and their culture, it's their work that gives me goosebumps. After all, these are the folks behind the one of my favorite desk accessories. Some of their other projects include:
- A bot that uses AI to track how the stock market reacts to tweets in real time, powers trades and donates profits to an animal welfare organization (So they're helping homeless animals, too!)
- A VR sensory immersion that will blow you away
- A massive global communication plan announcing the launch of global client's new website. Web site visuals, site tours, demo videos, social posts and e-marketing accompanied users on an multifaceted e-expedition that humanized big data (including 500+ assets versioned for use in 200+ countries) and projected it in a more visualized, accessible way.
Personality-wise, you’re a super smart, hands-on leader, with an upbeat energy and enthusiasm for future forward technology that’s positively infectious.
- 10-15 years’ overall experience in user experience design, with at least 2 + years’ experience at the director level, and a management and mentorship style that enables people to realize their best potential
- You’re an active and well-known leader in your UX community, and have a highly regarded blog or have published papers on UX-centric subject matters, as well as judged UX design award shows and spoken at conferences
- Both feet firmly planted in the digital realm. You’re an active participant in the design scene and you’re constantly thinking about “the next wave of the future”, digitally and otherwise. Your entrepreneurial spirit and proactive personality help you stay abreast of technological innovations in graphic, user- and experience design
- Exceptional client presentation skills complemented by your ability to articulate and justify your vision and rationale for design decisions to clients and colleagues alike
- Direct experience creating pure brand interactive, social, and mobile experiences, and combining them with emerging technologies to creating new products or experiences, ranging from bots to beacons, and everything in between, including AI, AR, iTV &/or VR. That being said, you don’t pursue trends simply for the sake of for the sake of staying on trend. For you, the means has to justify the end goal, and it’s all about creating well-designed items and the stories they maintain over their lives.
- This is a full time, 100% on site during regular business hours; no part time, freelance or remote talent please
- At this time, we cannot provide Visa assistance
- Full relo provided within the U.S.
- Willingness to travel up to 20% to other offices and client meetings
- Due to the high number of responses received, we will only respond to those people who meet the above-mentioned criteria
Up to $3,500 Referral Bonus Eligibility if we successfully place your referral in this full time role, so thanks for telling a friend!
*I’d be happy to chat about my love affair with recruiting in further detail another time.